East Texas Again!

8,220 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey Sawmillers, wanted to share some personal news with you all. As some of you know, my wife and I have been traveling for her job for the past year and we've absolutely loved it. We got the chance to live in California, Virginia, West Texas, & North Carolina over the past 12 months. It's been incredible!

But, as of today, we've accepted an offer to move back to East Texas full time and will be moving to Palestine, TX early next month. My wife will be working at Palestine Regional. I'll be ramping down my small recruiting company & looking for a job in town for the next month or two.

We're super stoked to be back in East Texas for a long-term stay and also close enough to justify some basketball season tickets! If any of you all live near Palestine, let me know, I'd love to meetup for coffee. And of course, we'll likely be around Nac more often as well.

P.S, we didn't put together a sweet moving to Texas hype video like Matt, so sorry for the letdown for everyone who was expecting us to recreate Lebron's "decision" moment.
PurpleOut
Staff
Congrats! Welcome back! We need more fans like all of us back and closer to Nac.
BigJack85
Awesome stuff Tall. Glad to have you back in Texas!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Congrats! Welcome back! We need more fans like all of us back and closer to Nac.
Definitely. Don't get me wrong, traveling is a blast, we've been to national parks & museums across the country, lived and worked in some really awesome places but there's nothing quite like being back in Texas.

Especially when you can move back right before Lumberjack basketball kicks off.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Awesome stuff Tall. Glad to have you back in Texas!
Glad to be back, no place like home(East Texas).
nacluth
Glad you've come back. We need G&G headquartered in a no tax state to have better returns on our investments. Just let us know when the IPO hits.

Best wishes on the transition and job hunt.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Hey Sawmillers, wanted to share some personal news with you all. As some of you know, my wife and I have been traveling for her job for the past year and we've absolutely loved it. We got the chance to live in California, Virginia, West Texas, & North Carolina over the past 12 months. It's been incredible!

But, as of today, we've accepted an offer to move back to East Texas full time and will be moving to Palestine, TX early next month. My wife will be working at Palestine Regional. I'll be ramping down my small recruiting company & looking for a job in town for the next month or two.

We're super stoked to be back in East Texas for a long-term stay and also close enough to justify some basketball season tickets! If any of you all live near Palestine, let me know, I'd love to meetup for coffee. And of course, we'll likely be around Nac more often as well.

P.S, we didn't put together a sweet moving to Texas hype video like Matt, so sorry for the letdown for everyone who was expecting us to recreate Lebron's "decision" moment.
Hey dude I just live across the Trinity River from you... I have 4 season tickets behind the bench about 10 rows up or so... we go to Palestine quite often... My kid was born at Palestine Regional.. Let me know when you get moved...
SFA Jack Fanatic
The Good News: You're back in God's Country

The (Possible) Bad News: "Gals and Geezers" bit the dust???
Jacks4460
edstile said:

Yes sir edstille God's Country....
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Glad you've come back. We need G&G headquartered in a no tax state to have better returns on our investments. Just let us know when the IPO hits.

Best wishes on the transition and job hunt.
Lol will do!
TallTexan
edstile said:

Gal & Geezer is still a work in progress, the website should be up and running in the next month. We've got a few tweaks left to the format and then need to write the initial articles on senior care & rehab tips.

Don't worry Ed, Gal & Geezer Arena is still in the cards if this business works out!

It's still our side project for the time being though until we can get some traction.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Hey dude I just live across the Trinity River from you... I have 4 season tickets behind the bench about 10 rows up or so... we go to Palestine quite often... My kid was born at Palestine Regional.. Let me know when you get moved...
Awesome! I've been pretty impressed by Palestine Regional so far. I got the chance to meet with the CEO while I was interviewing for a biz dev position over there (unfortunately they had a more experienced candidate), and he was a super nice guy, seems like a great CEO.

I'll definitely let you know when we get moved to town.
Pilotgirl
I work in Palestine (for the school) but live in Jville. Coworkers drag me to Little Mexico but there are better offerings IMO. My favorite (after work) haunt is Pint & Barrel in Olde Town. GREAT happy hour & craft beer! They also have awesome pub food, great porch. It would be a great meeting place if several of us wanted to meet up there sometime!

Happy Moving!
cboothe09
Pint and Barrel is great. Oxbow for pie is always a good call as well.

When it comes to mexican food, El Toro will always be my favorite in Palestine.
Pilotgirl
cboothe09 said:

My thoughts exactly. There is also some decent Mediterranean and Italian. A new Chinese place I need to check out...
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

I work in Palestine (for the school) but live in Jville. Coworkers drag me to Little Mexico but there are better offerings IMO. My favorite (after work) haunt is Pint & Barrel in Olde Town. GREAT happy hour & craft beer! They also have awesome pub food, great porch. It would be a great meeting place if several of us wanted to meet up there sometime!

Happy Moving!
Sweet! We had Little Mexico last week and it was just ok. And we've heard great things about Pint & Barrel as well. It's funny, we only grew up about an hour from Palestine but had only been around the loop. We drove through the downtown & neighborhoods last March on our way to watch SFA beat Sam Houston at home and fell in love with all the historic character of the town.

We'll have to check out Pint and Barrel.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

I'll have to add El Toro to our list of place to try soon. Little Mexico just wasn't cutting it.

And Oxbow is awesome. Those pies are so good!
Pilotgirl
There is the Little Mexico camp vs the El Toro camp. El Toro is MUCH better. Had some chicken tortilla soup there last week....perfect this colder weather and I've been under the weather.

I like Prontos for a quick lunch. There is spot going towards Crockett that is a family run operation...sooo good. I forget the name of it. Pint & Barrel is catty corner from OxBow.
Jacks4460
Pilotgirl said:

Happy Moving!

Yes mam that's a good place.. I can't help it but I absolutely love lil Mexico..
cboothe09
In Palestine? I know there is Las Rosa's in Grapeland. Not as refined as El Toro, but AMAZING food. From Grapeland and I head that way a lot. Will be up this weekend for basketball friday night and football saturday.
Pilotgirl
cboothe09 said:

In Palestine? I know there is Las Rosa's in Grapeland. Not as refined as El Toro, but AMAZING food. From Grapeland and I head that way a lot. Will be up this weekend for basketball friday night and football saturday.

Nope....and it may not be Crockett Road. I go there with coworkers for lunch sometimes (so not driving)....it's like down home/southern cooking and on Fridays they have fish I think...
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Happy Moving!

Yes mam that's a good place.. I can't help it but I absolutely love lil Mexico..
I found the food pretty good, but the salsa was nearly straight tomato sauce. Not hating on it, but I prefer something much spicier.
TallTexan
Came to ask if any of the locals have Church suggestions for Palestine/Anderson county. Wife and I have been on a church search, but haven't really found the right fit yet.

For some direction, we're big fans of a bible church, or a church that preaches the bible every week, but is also focused on local missions and being a part of the community. Our belief system summed up is pretty much"Love God, Love People".

That said, we're open to any and all suggestions if any of you all are familiar with the area.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Came to ask if any of the locals have Church suggestions for Palestine/Anderson county. Wife and I have been on a church search, but haven't really found the right fit yet.

For some direction, we're big fans of a bible church, or a church that preaches the bible every week, but is also focused on local missions and being a part of the community. Our belief system summed up is pretty much"Love God, Love People".

That said, we're open to any and all suggestions if any of you all are familiar with the area.

I'll ask my coworker, who knows EVERYONE in Palestine & is born and raised there, if she has a rec.
TallTexan
Awesome thanks!
Pilotgirl
My friend gave the following advice:

Court Drive Church of Christ (do a lot of food/clothing missions) I have several co-workers that go there.

Evangelistic Temple --a big non-denomination. She has a feeling it may be clique-ish but does not know for sure

Palestine Church --- multicultural non-denomination church that is downtown.
cboothe09
When i lived in Crockett, me and my wife went to FUMC
TallTexan
Thanks for the suggestions!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.