Hobbies

6,071 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Txjack
PurpleForever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was curious to hear what type of hobbies you guys have. For me, I've always been an avid card/memorabilia collector. I have way too many cards and memorabilia and had to slow down recently. I also love sports gambling and did it quite a bit in college, haven't been doing it recently. Also big into fantasy sports and dfs. Hunting and fishing pretty much take up the rest of my free time.
SFAXE93
Guitar
BBQ
History
Country Music
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
BigJack85
Order changes based on my whims.

Golf
Tennis
SFA basketball
European history
Clean up dog poop
SFA football.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
Most of my time now involves the wife and kids or work. Spare time (and even time with them) is normally something to do with sports. Basketball obviously.

Don't run as much as I used to, but used to be an avid Tough Mudder runner (12-15 mile obstacle courses). Before the kids, I did a ton of video editing. Was lucky enough to work with a lot of athletes from Texas (Dez Bryant, Jamaal Charles, Jermichael Finley, etc). I miss it, but still spend time watching highlight videos and movie trailers online.
TallTexan
Oh man, great question.

Depends on the day but:

• Camping/Hiking
  • Reading
  • History
  • Traveling
  • Weightlifting (I'm not a natural talent, but I enjoy it & I'm determined to live to be 100).
  • Business Strategy(I spend an inordinately large amount of my free time thinking about how to make businesses better and more efficient).It's the day job, but also a passion too.

The first four also run together pretty well. Wife and I've got a pretty awesome gig set up at the moment since she's a traveling SLP, so we get to check out a lot of national parks, state parks, museums, & then we read up on the places & history that we've visited.
drhuggybear
TallTexan said:

Oh man, great question.

Depends on the day but:

• Camping/Hiking
  • Reading
  • History
  • Traveling
  • Weightlifting (I'm not a natural talent, but I enjoy it & I'm determined to live to be 100).
  • Business Strategy(I spend an inordinately large amount of my free time thinking about how to make businesses better and more efficient).It's the day job, but also a passion too.

The first four also run together pretty well. Wife and I've got a pretty awesome gig set up at the moment since she's a traveling SLP, so we get to check out a lot of national parks, state parks, museums, & then we read up on the places & history that we've visited.
SLP - Speech Language Pathologist? That must be interesting.

For me
  • Hiking/Camping/RVing
  • Shooting
  • Some xbox
  • Recently started riding a bike for exercise

Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
djsfw57
basketball
football
hockey
reading
going to the mountains
nacluth
Hey my job is to support people's hobby - that is if your hobby includes guitars. (Looking at you 93, PurpleForever, RedRiverLa, and NoLook).

I like to travel, hit National Parks, run, solve puzzles, riddle out Coach Keller's mind, and pretty much anything with Science Fiction. I played disc golf semi-professionally for more than a decade and grew the Nacogdoches Open into one of the largest PDGA events in the country, but kids have slowed down my competition.

I'm just starting video editing Matt, so I might need to call in some pointers.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
drhuggybear said:

SLP - Speech Language Pathologist? That must be interesting.

Yep she loves it. Currently does a lot of work with rehab in long term care.
PurpleForever
PurpleOut said:

Most of my time now involves the wife and kids or work. Spare time (and even time with them) is normally something to do with sports. Basketball obviously.

Don't run as much as I used to, but used to be an avid Tough Mudder runner (12-15 mile obstacle courses). Before the kids, I did a ton of video editing. Was lucky enough to work with a lot of athletes from Texas (Dez Bryant, Jamaal Charles, Jermichael Finley, etc). I miss it, but still spend time watching highlight videos and movie trailers online.

I also love video editing. I used final cut pro x a few months ago after using cheaper software for years and I'm addicted now. Just have to get a macbook pro so i can use fcpx now.
nacluth
Video editing guys: When making your clips do you use an independent audio editor and then import and attach the track, or do you use the audio tools that come in the video editor? I know mics and recording equipment play a big part in the overall tone you can get, but just curious from a software side of things.

I just "edited" my first video last night in IMovie. It's so simple it's laughable, but as I'm trying to promote audio stuff, I was curious what you do.

Here's my short little clip. If you have an advice, I would take it.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
aquavelvis
After playing guitar along with records and CDs for decades, I hooked up with some friends and played in a band that did mostly classic rock covers for 10 years. But we all got tired of playing the same old songs in the same old bars for the same old drunks, and load in, set up, and load out of massive amps and four or five guitars and the effects board eventually was too much work for my age, and we broke up the band six years ago. Haven't really missed it I'm afraid.

Replaced that by going back to my youth and racing slot cars. There's a special needs adult among our local racers, and I'm happy (mostly!) to repair and maintain the stuff he wears out and breaks every week, and that keeps me pretty busy.

My wife and I spend some time cruising the hill country northwest of San Antonio in our Mini Cooper.

Yes, I know...Excitement City!
Scott Taylor
TallTexan
aquavelvis said:

My wife and I spend some time cruising the hill country northwest of San Antonio in our Mini Cooper.
That's a pretty great place to go cruising, that's for sure.
SFAXE93
Playing the guitar with records, there you go, or at least with the iPad in today's age.

I like just zipping around playing them chords over songs with my cheap $170 electric Yamaha Pacifica on my $12 Goodwill amp, or my Takamine 350 acoustic.

we are WYLD STALLYNS!
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
Pilotgirl
Music lover---- frequent concert attendee (all kinds but very little country)
Sports enthusiast--- that's a given.
Travel--- new places but also fav cities/spots. Helps me to reconnect with the world.
Reading--- pretty constant. I'm a geek honestly. Non fiction, fiction.
Movie/TV affecianado aka binge watching LOL
Spending time with daughter and dogs
nacluth
Well maybe the weather, maybe some other factors, but I won my age division in this morning's 5K. The first time I've won anything in this hobby.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Well maybe the weather, maybe some other factors, but I won my age division in this morning's 5K. The first time I've won anything in this hobby.

It's a sign. Sfa 28-ACU 21.
PurpleForever
nacluth said:

Video editing guys: When making your clips do you use an independent audio editor and then import and attach the track, or do you use the audio tools that come in the video editor? I know mics and recording equipment play a big part in the overall tone you can get, but just curious from a software side of things.

I just "edited" my first video last night in IMovie. It's so simple it's laughable, but as I'm trying to promote audio stuff, I was curious what you do.

Here's my short little clip. If you have an advice, I would take it.

I don't do very many voice overs and such so i use the audio tools on whatever software I'm using because its usually just inputting a song I'm using. Depending on what software you are using, there are a lot of third parties that make add ons specifically for messing with the audio that can greatly increase the quality of the sound.
cboothe09
Sports - duh...
Music - Listen to anything. As a high school teacher, I've learned you have to listen to everything or else they will not let you hear the end of it.
Running - Don't do it as much as I used to, but getting back into it. I really enjoy the obstacle course races. Did a Tough Mudder last year and loved it. My goal for this year was to complete the Spartan Trifecta, but budgetary constraints said no.
We have recently gotten into being more outdoorsy. We have a couple of kayaks and are looking to get a camper for travel/tailgating. We'll try to get around to a lot of State Parks next summer, and maybe hit Disney at some point...
Ljacks&Longnecks
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

It's a sign. Sfa 28-ACU 21.
Ryan---keep winning your division
Texan---Keep reading the signs
TallTexan
Ok guys, we'll need to put together a set of 5ks for the rest of football season for Nacluth.

Now we can't be sure if it was running the 5k or winning his division that brought the magic. So we'll need a few people to channel their inner Tonya Harding to make sure his division is "winnable".

I'm not saying Ryan won't win on his own pure talent for running, I'm just saying we shouldn't risk it with the football season on the line.
Txjack
Hobbies for me:
Cycling--road and mountain
Running
BBQing
Attending my kids extra curricular stuff
Sports in general....I was a "gym rat" as a kid and became heavily involved with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes during my time in High School and College. Still like to support that and try to help where I can.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.