Jesse McCartney is playing for Homecoming

6,041 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheRevSFA
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
nacluth
Never heard of him that I can remember. Guess I've gotten too old.
Pilotgirl
Nice that it is another genre than country. My daughter is pumped. So is twitter. I think it will be a success. Heck, I would even go. Pass the pumpkin spice lattes. Ain't no shame in that game.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Nice that it is another genre than country. My daughter is pumped. So is twitter. I think it will be a success. Heck, I would even go. Pass the pumpkin spice lattes. Ain't no shame in that game.

It is good to see them branch out, but much like most of the country acts, I don't know who this guy is either lol.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah it's definitely better than the past. Just because I don't care for him doesn't mean it's not great for everyone else.

Probably the biggest name we've had (although I haven't paid real close attention).
SFAJack_76
I had not heard of him either. It is apparent from social media that this is a big deal particularly with young females.

SFA used to have some really high profile performers on campus such as Chicago, Olivia Newton John, Cheap Trick, ELP. Why did that stop?
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

I had not heard of him either. It is apparent from social media that this is a big deal particularly with young females.

SFA used to have some really high profile performers on campus such as Chicago, Olivia Newton John, Cheap Trick, ELP. Why did that stop?
Probably the cost of today's artists to do appearances.

I have heard that there is more interest in creating more campus concerts however like we used to.
nacluth
Moody Blues, Heart, Garth Brooks, Pearl Jam...
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Moody Blues, Heart, Garth Brooks, Pearl Jam...

We had Pearl Jam on campus?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Boston & Sammy Hagar in 79
SFAJack_76
One concert on the grass at what was then Lumberjack Stadium. 1974 perhaps. I don't remember who all the bands were (legal drinking age had been lowered to 18 and there was a bit of a cloud at field level) but Steve Martin was the emcee. Good times.
nacluth
Yessir. I had floor tickets and connections to get in early. Center stage right in front of the mosh pit. At one point, the crush of the crowd was so much that I had to get pulled out by security right under Eddie Vedder's feet. Awesome for a highschooler. Fall of 1992 before the release of Vs. Their drummer passed out from exhaustion and had to be replaced by Urge Overkill's drummer mid set. A good show.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

One concert on the grass at what was then Lumberjack Stadium. 1974 perhaps. I don't remember who all the bands were (legal drinking age had been lowered to 18 and there was a bit of a cloud at field level) but Steve Martin was the emcee. Good times.

This is an SFA I never knew.
tangerito
I believe there used to be a student club or organization that put on these concerts. I remember Hall and Oates, Mickey Gilley and Johnny Lee (Urban Cowboy phase), beach boys, nitty gritty dirt band, Chicago to name a few.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

This is an SFA I never knew.
It was also at this time that streaking was a thing. One or more pictures of streaking at SFA were in "Life" magazine. The administration handled it really well. Blocked off part of College Drive between Steen and East College Cafeteria for a gathering of streaking participants and spectators one evening. Participants included perhaps six ROTC in nothing but their boots.

Could not happen today for many reasons including iPhones and social media.

No, I did not participate.
TheRevSFA
I remember seeing Andrew WK at spring fest.

Also small bands like voodoo glow skulls at the grand ballroom.

Of course every year after, it was Honeybrowne every time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.