SFA / Sam Houston

17,231 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was fun.

I also bet the under.

Double winner for me.
djsfw57
SFA_03 said:

Comical we get a bench warning but Hooten can literally scream at the ref.
And did you notice how his eyes crossed when he was screaming? I almost lost it!! Definitely my comic moment of the game.
SFA, Class of 1979
Pilotgirl
DAVID !!!!!
No-look
David for President! Lol
pa guy
Before the game, asked Gavin how he was feeling. And I quote...It's a good day to be a Lumberjack. Indeed!
jboy93
No-look said:

Hope the new recruit was watching.
What recruit?
SFAJack_76
jboy93 said:

No-look said:

What recruit?
From the recruiting forum.
No-look
Sam actually guarded Gavin about as good as I've seen this year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

jboy93 said:

No-look said:

What recruit?
From the recruiting forum.

He's only the #1 rated player in the state of Louisiana!
nacluth
Just wanted to come back and say how much I enjoyed this game and the win. The Jacks came out ready for a fight, and they played hard for 40 minutes. We had really good rotations, and while the team responded better with David yesterday, Roti balanced the pressure. Good guard play.

I yelled at the refs a lot. But, this was a good game. For the most part, they weren't overly involved and never seemed to switch momentum. Last two home games have been great in that respect, and they have been our best performances.

Bryce Monroe is going to be tough for a while in the WAC. He may be a freshman, but he was scrappy and shot like he had no memory. Some of his attempts were ugly, some were pure.

The Jacks still control their destiny going forward. Nicholls only has one game against Sam left. Sam has to play three one loss teams, and ACU/SFA play each other and Sam.

I now believe that we have what it takes to be regular season champs with ACU going to the tournament. I would prefer it was us, but I guess that's not my decision.
PurpleOut
Staff
Got back last night, really enjoyed the trip. Guys played well for the most part, and the atmosphere was very solid. Not sure if you could really tell on TV, but at the U4 the students moved from their section to other spots in the arena, mostly the few sections over from theirs. But they were up and loud that entire 4 minutes that really changed the atmosphere of the crowd.

Felt like a game we should have been ahead by more, but I never felt the game was in doubt.

Did they talk about the shot clock situations on TV? That was very odd for both calls that were made. I don't think either were correct, but they both also couldn't/shouldn't have been called that way. If one was right, the other had to be wrong. And that was the angriest I've EVER seen Keller. He hit the scorers table with his fist and was yelling at the shot clock operator. And for good measure, stuff like that shouldn't happen.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Got back last night, really enjoyed the trip. Guys played well for the most part, and the atmosphere was very solid. Not sure if you could really tell on TV, but at the U4 the students moved from their section to other spots in the arena, mostly the few sections over from theirs. But they were up and loud that entire 4 minutes that really changed the atmosphere of the crowd.

Felt like a game we should have been ahead by more, but I never felt the game was in doubt.

Did they talk about the shot clock situations on TV? That was very odd for both calls that were made. I don't think either were correct, but they both also couldn't/shouldn't have been called that way. If one was right, the other had to be wrong. And that was the angriest I've EVER seen Keller. He hit the scorers table with his fist and was yelling at the shot clock operator. And for good measure, stuff like that shouldn't happen.

The shot clock issues were mentioned on TV. The two announcers seemed perplexed by the calls.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

The shot clock issues were mentioned on TV. The two announcers seemed perplexed by the calls.

King McClure seemed shook by the Southland ref quality.
CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut said:

Agreed the shot clock issues were something I had never noticed at WRJ before. Solomon jacked up an almost half court 3 and midway through the shot clock was changed. I was looking at Keller after that shot and he was so pissed. He did come back and talk to the shot clock guy later and give a fist bump not sure what he said but looked like he was apologetic for the outburst. I was curious if the fist pounding was on TV or not.

It is amazing how the refs in the ACU game blew their whistle almost ever time guys got close to each other and then the Sam game they seemed afraid to blow a whistle.

Anyone know if the WAC refs are any better than the rec league refs we have in the SLC?
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

King McClure seemed shook by the Southland ref quality.
As we ALL are, King. AS WE ALL ARE (well, except one or two people)
PurpleOut
Staff
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

PurpleOut said:

Agreed the shot clock issues were something I had never noticed at WRJ before. Solomon jacked up an almost half court 3 and midway through the shot clock was changed. I was looking at Keller after that shot and he was so pissed. He did come back and talk to the shot clock guy later and give a fist bump not sure what he said but looked like he was apologetic for the outburst. I was curious if the fist pounding was on TV or not.

It is amazing how the refs in the ACU game blew their whistle almost ever time guys got close to each other and then the Sam game they seemed afraid to blow a whistle.

Anyone know if the WAC refs are any better than the rec league refs we have in the SLC?
The problem that I don't think we realize, is that we'll still see a lot of these refs. Basketball officials aren't technically assigned to conferences, they work regionally. So we can expect a lot of the same for our games in state.

But the thought seems to be that they are better from our new @WACDigest friends on Twitter.
No-look
Had the game recorded so I had some time this morning and watched it. Very good presentation from us. Looks like Hootens eyes did cross and I noticed David was talking the trash. Lol.
SFAXE93
HJC69
I did'nt record the game. Is there a way to find it? Thanks
BigJack85
Maybe I'm off base but I think Hooten is a terrific coach. Period. His teams are ALWAYS competitive and rarely finish below 3rd or 4th in the conference. His players are disciplined and he gets the most out of them. He is in a difficult spot in that Sam is football first! Moving to the WAC is going to be good for both schools. More competitive teams overall and a few more national TV appearances won't hurt.
cboothe09
Hooten is a VERY good coach. Doesn't get the respect he deserves from their fan base, but the man can coach and recruit.
nacluth
HJC69 said:

I did'nt record the game. Is there a way to find it? Thanks
It's on ESPN+ on demand. $6 a month and you can watch home games live.
nacluth
BigJack85 said:

Maybe I'm off base but I think Hooten is a terrific coach. Period. His teams are ALWAYS competitive and rarely finish below 3rd or 4th in the conference. His players are disciplined and he gets the most out of them. He is in a difficult spot in that Sam is football first!
OK I'll play devil's advocate. He's not in a high stress position. He doesn't win the big games. He HAS gone deep in the CBI, but has never made the big dance while other programs have moved past SFA in the four years of his coaching career that they went.

Agree that he keeps getting into the top of the Southland, but he doesn't have significant wins outside of it. He plays to the conference and not the game. He has a nice career as a D1 coach and that's good enough.

There's my callous easy typing from my couch analysis. And I like him fine.
SFAXE93
I guess he does well considering what he has for facilities and resources at Sam.

11 seasons at SHSU

No wins over any ranked teams
Tons of division 3 wins
3-19 against rival SFA
1 Conference Championship
.583 record

There ain't even any thread or mention of the game on katfans, which tells you they don't care about basketball, just football and baseball.

nacluth
There is a thread, but they had one in-game post, and a couple post-game blaming the refs. But, you're right. That forum barely cares about basketball.
HJC69
Thank you.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

BigJack85 said:

Maybe I'm off base but I think Hooten is a terrific coach. Period. His teams are ALWAYS competitive and rarely finish below 3rd or 4th in the conference. His players are disciplined and he gets the most out of them. He is in a difficult spot in that Sam is football first!
OK I'll play devil's advocate. He's not in a high stress position. He doesn't win the big games. He HAS gone deep in the CBI, but has never made the big dance while other programs have moved past SFA in the four years of his coaching career that they went.

Agree that he keeps getting into the top of the Southland, but he doesn't have significant wins outside of it. He plays to the conference and not the game. He has a nice career as a D1 coach and that's good enough.

There's my callous easy typing from my couch analysis. And I like him fine.
He's a slightly worse version of Danny Kasper. Let's hope Sam Houston keeps him forever.
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

I guess he does well considering what he has for facilities and resources at Sam.

11 seasons at SHSU

Tons of division 3 wins
3-19 against rival SFA
.583 record

There ain't even any thread or mention of the game on katfans, which tells you they don't care about basketball, just football and baseball.

If SFA is the measuring stick he's a failure. Tom Osborn lost to Barry Switzerland forever. He eventually broke through.

I don't think Hooten is as far off as most of you think.
SFAXE93
Well then I guess Bearkat fans have something to look forward to.
cboothe09
He had a good thing going and then Underwood happened. He has been competitive with Keller
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

11 seasons at SHSU

Tons of division 3 wins
3-19 against rival SFA
.583 record

Honestly if we weren't as good as we've been he'd have a couple of conference titles and tournament appearances.

I think they're on track to put together a title run soon if they stick with Hooten, as much as that pains me to say. We've just gotten very fortunate. Brad Underwood is probably the best X's and O's coach SFA will ever have gotten, and I think there's little evidence against that. Kyle Keller's probably the best recruiter SFA has ever gotten. Could you imagine Brad Underwood's on the court coaching with Kyle Keller's recruiting???

Sam Houston as well as the rest of the Southland just hasn't been able to keep up because of those two outstanding hires, but it's hard to deny that if we hadn't gotten as lucky as we have, Hooten may have been able to take control of the SLC a couple of times.
sfa17
Good coach is a bit of a stretch. More mediocre than good. I think the only times he beat Keller was keller's first season and that horrible year we had. He losses to any decent sfa team. He is a SLC level coach. Staying competitive in one of the worst leagues in D1 .. that's the bare minimum . Couldnt get into the ncaa's the two season we were out.
SFASawmillGuy
I disagree with that. We are spoiled, but being a mid major is very very hard. Recruiting is one of the hardest things for us, and Keller is really fortunate that he has the foundation set before him by Kasper and Brad to do that. Sam had no basketball foundation, so the fact they've had the success they've had without any resources is actually impressive.

Do I want Sam to surpass us ever? God no. I'd be happy if we were the ones with a 10 game winning streak in football and would be happier with a 24-0 streak on them in basketball.

But I can recognize they aren't hopeless, and that Hooten has basically kept them from being basement dwellers, which with their talent outside of their Holyfield they should've been.

Even though the WAC seemingly wants everyone committed to FBS football in 10 years or so, they're getting 3.5 really good schools in pretty much every sport(sorry Lamar, we only want your money)
BigJack85
3.5 good schools. Awesome!
sfa17
SFA_03 said:

But I can recognize they aren't hopeless, and that Hooten has basically kept them from being basement dwellers, which with their talent outside of their Holyfield they should've been.

Would your opinion change if he is not able to get Sam to the tourney this year?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.