SFA / Louisiana - Monroe

38,067 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (7-2) vs. Louisiana Monroe (4-3)

WHEN: DEC 14 (SAT) 8:00 P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

The Lumberjacks are facing their final D1 competition of their non-conference portion of their schedule Saturday night. So far they have gone 5-2 in their previous 7 games with their two losses against top 100 teams. Their win against #1 Duke is the statistical outlier for the season as all the other wins have come against teams rated worse than 246. I believe most watchers of this SFA squad would say that we've been the better of most of the competition, but the schedule so far says we have one good win and no bad losses. We play 21 games against D1 teams before the SLC tournament. Any loss between now and then would be considered bad. That starts this weekend.

UL-Monroe is not a bad team, they are just a blah team. They have good shooters and good defenders. Kind of like last year's SFA squad that had talent that couldn't quite materialize their wins, the Warhawks are just not playing consistently. They are another guard heavy offense. Guards Michael Ertel (6' 2" Jr.) and JD Williams (6' 4" Sr.) put in more than half of all the team's points. Ertel is particularly effective as a catch-and-shoot perimeter threat where Williams uses his speed and size to break through defenses. Williams is also the leading rebounder despite the size of their interior players. 7' 1" junior Chris Efretuei is imposing but still seems to be adjusting to the speed of D1 play. Senior forwards White and Bernard are good at disrupting play in the lane.

ULM's biggest strength is keeping offenses from scoring, but their weakness is playing against stout defenses. If their catch and shoot game is not dialed in, then they struggle offensively. They are a JUCO-built team, so despite their average age, they do not have much experience with team play. The Lumberjacks need to exploit their inability to score except from their two top scorers. Stiff defense will also throw apart their set plays. Like the Arkansas State game, on paper SFA is the much superior team, they just need to execute.

It may be the holiday season, but the Jacks have a fair amount of work to do over this holiday break. An empty campus may make it hard to get up for this late night game, but they have to stay focused on putting away the lesser ranked teams one after another. If we're looking toward the end of the season, then 10 is our magic number. The new NET guidelines that the NCAA uses for seeding dictates that a 10 point win is the highest rated type of win. Against 250+ ranked teams, SFA needs to maximize its double digit wins. Everyone will be important. As said before early, SFA has no bad losses and no home losses this season. If this team is locked in, this is the mission - be definitive in your wins.

The Jacks' biggest weakness right now would be a breakdown of team play. Last time out, Kensmil was frustrated by Alabama's bigs and the refs. He took it out by sniping at Roti during the game. Whether it was something they were both able to shake off, this team needs to always realize that they rise and fall as one. The strength of this team is its depth. If taking out Kevon sinks our offense, then this season is about to get long. Getting back to WRJ and sharing the love will be the best Christmas gift for this team. Let's hope Keller gets everyone on the same page and start ticking off all those W's starting with UL - Monroe.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Quality write up. Our defensive "productivity" has to continue its growth. The reason we hung with Duke was defensive pressure converting to points (a bunch on runouts). If we get better with the pressure defense we set up a nice run over the next 20+ games.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ljacks&Longnecks
Another fine pre game write up. Success for the Jacks is wrapped up in team play and stout defense. Understandable that there will be frustrations when put out of your game (as in Alabama) but guys must forget and move forward. Kevon will be a target to be shutdown the rest of the way, but most teams left on the schedule will not be able to do so.....when and if it does happen again then someone else must pick it up, could be a Roti or a Cam J and the inside game.
Team play and "chaos" defense will take us very far in the SLC.
No-look
Great write up as usual. We have to treat each game as if we were playing Duke.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Why is this game being played at 8:00 p.m.??
nacluth
Graduation that day.
RedRiverLa
Remember Nacluth, I've got a Diet Coke on the line with the ULM AD. I need you dialed in and focused on this one in my absence. Please limit restroom and concession breaks to a minimum. Bring me a W!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
I'm on it. I'll bring my backpack full of snacks and a catheter. They won't get me to budge - unless I get picked for the fry shuffle.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I'm on it. I'll bring my backpack full of snacks and a catheter. They won't get me to budge - unless I get picked for the fry shuffle.

A catheter? Please tell me your seat will be behind that big plastic wall covering the new tunnel. I checked with Ivey and he said you can poke one hole in that sucker. (Wait. What did I just say???)

But on a serious note, I'll be at the game, also in Section 107. I'll look for you.
No-look
Time to redeem ourselves for some last years outings. Get this one back in the win column where it should be. I can also think of a couple more teams we need to sweep.
nacluth
Game day!!! Kids are leaving town, so come out and help the Jacks down the Warhawks.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
One thing I didn't go into detail in the write up was about their defense. I watched a couple of their past games. They are pretty adapt at switching between zone and man defenses. Ertel is their best on-ball defender. He could give Kalcheries some fits. Because they switch so effectively, they are one of the best at limiting shots. Fewer chances is the name of their game.
SFAJack_76
McDaniel is at the game, but not suited up. Dancing on the sideline during warm ups. Kachelries is not suited up. Sitting on the sidelines looking dejected. Looked like he was walking with a bit of a limp perhaps.

Nate has shaved his head. Took me a bit to figure out who the bald guy was.
nacluth
He shaved his head to look good on CNN. Doesn't look like Kalcheries came back out with the team.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

McDaniel is at the game, but not suited up. Dancing on the sideline during warm ups. Kachelries is not suited up. Sitting on the sidelines looking dejected. Looked like he was walking with a bit of a limp perhaps.

Nate has shaved his head. Took me a bit to figure out who the bald guy was.

Grandpa Nate!
nacluth
If you see someone wearing this shirt, it me.

nacluth
ULM starting with a very tight zone. Got to break it quicker. They're trying to limit our scoring chances.
nacluth
5 minutes in. ULM has hit all there threes, we haven't hit any. Difference so far. Our defense is good.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

He shaved his head to look good on CNN. Doesn't look like Kalcheries came back out with the team.

I was wrong about Kachelries. He is not at the game.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

If you see someone wearing this shirt, it me.

Love it.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

I was wrong about Kachelries. He is not at the game.

Wonder what's up with him.
SFAXE93
SFA will see the 2-3 zone all season.
MasterAxe
The rust is real.
sfa17
Nothing going in
MasterAxe
SFAXE93 said:

SFA will see the 2-3 zone all season.

And we should. Even in the last few years, we haven't quite figured out how to break it.
SFAJack_76
Getting open threes. Nobody hitting them. 0-6.
nacluth
7 points 8 minutes in isn't winning any games. This is their plan. Slow us down. We have to speed up tempo to get in before they set. Also take more open threes. We're spending a lot of time breaking the zone instead of shooting.
purpleballs
You have to shoot a team out of a zone.
BigJack85
Press Clippings.....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
BINGO! and we aint
MasterAxe
ULM looks 1,000x better than us.
nacluth
Still at 7 11:30 in. On pace for 25 for the game.
SFAXE93
0-10
sfa17
Our outside shooting is so poor
RedRiverLa
Is this score real? WTH?
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.