SFA / North Carolina Central

15,279 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
RedRiverLa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93 said:

4 for 4 (The volleyball team won today as well)

Yes - great add! 4 for 4
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Pilotgirl
4 wins... Volleyball, Ladyjack BB, Lumberjack BB and our tummies! Headed back to Sugar Land happy!
wahlwesle
The best real Mexican food in town.
nacluth
wahlwesle said:

The best real Mexican food in town.
Double this. Not Tex-Mex. real Mexican.
Ballwatch
Taco Wednesday's, place is legit. If you want to up the ante, try Taqueria el 21.
MasterAxe
I don't think Nate is a starter much longer. Or, if he is, his minutes are gonna shrink.

Can Johnson is just a better offensive player and is gonna be a really contributor.

Hart even showed a nice outside touch if you wanted to run him as an perimeter player.
nacluth
Where's Taco's Wednesday?
No-look
Where is the post game show?
Rev007
Rev's Post Game Analysis:

Who could have predicted a 30 point win after a tight half-time score? Congrats go out to team and coaching staff. Hmmm....coaching staff? Yes! Did anyone notice the ease which we broke the early press of NCCU? Even our freshmen made the correct passes to break the press. Clearly, we were prepared.

I'm not sure what the future starting lineups and rotations will be, but we are much deeper than our recent past. I can envision 10 players receiving meaningful minutes each game. We might only have one superstar, but we have a bevy of talented team-oriented players. I'm still awaiting the debut of Demiere Brown, and I'm anxious to see how much Oddyst improved during the off-season.

Is it possible to see 40 minutes of man-to-man pressure defense this year? You bet it is! I'm not sure how many turnovers we forced this afternoon, but it had to be close to 20.

Is the Rev stoked? Yes, he is, even while writing in the third person

Niagara....come get some of this!

Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Where's Taco's Wednesday?

At jaliscience, tacos are $1 on wednesdays!
sfa17
Rev007 said:

Rev's Post Game Analysis
You bet it is! I'm not sure how many turnovers we forced this afternoon, but it had to be close to 20.

We forced 31 turnovers and commit 24. Still got work to do
Rev007
31 is AMAZING! What is the highest amount we forced last year?

I agree that we have to protect the ball better. Our guys are still getting used to each other. If our point guard play improves which I think it will, our turnover totals should be greatly diminished.

I'd sure like to see if McDaniels can handle and distribute the rock.

When we made more than one pass, our shooters were wide open. I love seeing Kevon on the 3 point line without anyone in his face. Roti, too!
wahlwesle
Rev007 said:

Did anyone notice the ease which we broke the early press of NCCU? Even our freshmen made the correct passes to break the press. Clearly, we were prepared.

I sure did. It looked too easy. I'm not sure if we were that good or if NCCU was that bad at pressure, but I can recall only one or two possessions where we looked even halfway bothered by it.
LUMBERJACK2005
Wow! Didn't expect that second half, what a win! Seems everyone on the board has been spot on with their comments. Through two games, this team has really impressed me defensively. The way they play the passing lanes is going to always lead to a few backdoor cuts and open drives, so help side rotation is crucial; something that was often missing last year. This group does a great job. Think I counted 3 charges taken for Comeaux, another for Kensmil. I don't think NCCU got their first offensive rebound until midway through the second half, may have only had 3 the whole game. Did notice a little pouting out of Kachelries in the second half. Didn't come in until the 14 minutes mark and then was pulled pretty quickly, walked off the court and then sat through 2-3 made buckets on the bench while most were up clapping. May be nothing, but, when a kid has already transferred from one school, it may be something to keep an eye on. Hart looked great shooting the 3, not so great giving up back to back offensive rebounds on missed free throws; won't happen as he gets stronger. 24 turnovers are way too many, but if you are forcing 30 you can live with that.

Scheduling tidbits:
Niagra, our next opponent, lost to Drexel, whom we play after Niagra, 64-72. Niagra plays Rutgers tomorrow, who we play after Duke. Drexel plays Abilene Christian tomorrow and Rutgers Wednesday.

** Nicholls State lost @ Brad Underwood's Illinois team 70-78 in overtime to open the season, and beat Pitt on the road tonight 75-70.
nacluth
The thing that impressed me most is that our half court offense looked more effective than our fast break offense through most of the game. Half court offense!?! That is just not something you could say the Jacks have had in a while.
sfajack05
I'm impressed with the team so far. They seem to be miles ahead of the team from last year. Not sure if the team is just clicking personality wise or what but they seem to be playing more as a team instead of the ISO/hero ball that the team played last year. We definitely have more shooters and an actual inside presence this year but still have that one guy we can lean on when needed like what Kevon did at the start of the game (believe he had 8 of the first 10). Hart is going to be a beast. Excited for rest of the season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

Hart looked great shooting the 3, not so great giving up back to back offensive rebounds on missed free throws; won't happen as he gets stronger.

Great observation. I noticed that, too. He had two balls ripped away from him. As you said, he needs to develop better upper body strength, and he will.

(It's nice to be knit-picking...)
No-look
I'm starting to get that "expect to win" feeling again. I want to see Solomon and Hart tie for freshmen of the year. This team looks deep. I want to see what Brown brings to the table. Next year add Posey to this group and hide the women and children! lol
CertifiedAxeman98
Great win. At one point Keller had 2 freshmen and 3 of the JUCOs on the court. And other time he had 2 PGs on the floor when they were pressing us hard and then it was a PG and 4 of our biggest guys on the court. Is amazing what he can do with a full and versatile bench. Bain was in foul trouble which contributed to him being on the bench but I don't see him getting a lot of time this year when you have the depth we have now. Hart has the best shooters touch I have seen in a long time. Solomon was great all around player. Those 2 guys are the future of the team and I want them to continue to get double digit minutes on the court. Great game and good to see Keller adjust as the game went on to fix issues in the first half. There was a stretch in the first half that we clearly had a bad lineup in but keller fixed it in the second half. Watching this win live really boosted my confidence in this team.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yesterday was a lot of fun, other than one dry stretch I was very impressed. A lot of the turnovers I thought were pretty common for a group that hasn't played together much. I think that will change but it could take some time.

Ball movement was great yesterday, and it seems like everyone trusts the man next to them. Which you couldn't say with last years group.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Ball movement was great yesterday, and it seems like everyone trusts the man next to them. Which you couldn't say with last years group.
Every bit of this. Such an improvement.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Don't see Coach Mason today
He was at MD Anderson getting his sixth, and final, chemo treatment. I don't have any other update on his health.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Hope he pulls off a big win of his own!
Rev007
Please continue praying for Coach Mason. I don't know him personally, but from what I've heard, he's a good man.
RichieVan
For what it's worth, Jibri Blount went off on USC Upstate last night as NCCU beat the Spartans, 73-64. Blount had 16 points and 19 boards after going for just 10 and 6 against us in the same amount of minutes. NCCU shot only marginally better (23 of 46 versus 21 of 47 against us and 9 of 18 from three versus 7 of 1 against us) and committed only 3 less turnovers.
I know USC Upstate is not a good team (even though KenPom is extremely unreliable this early), but this is just a tiny sign that the Jacks could be a pretty good team this year.
nacluth
Thanks good to know. The team we played on Saturday wouldn't have beaten LeTourneau.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.