SFA / Miami

23,820 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Some takeaways:

- Nicholas was very encouraging. 15 points on 7-10 shooting and 7 boards in 21 minutes.
- Tough assignments and match ups for everyone, don't discredit Miami. Canes played really well in every aspect of the game.
- Need Kevon. Bad. He just looks off right now.
- Solid minutes and experience for the freshman, especially Walker. They just have a lot of growing up to do.
- Several things that I think the staff will like, a lot to show to learn on.
- We need to let Bogues open it up more. We're running just very base stuff right now offensively, but we need to find a way to let him create more when he has the ball. That's where he is the best.

Nothing that concerns me that greatly. The score sucks but it doesn't really matter. Again, W/L results right now have almost no emphasis on the season. At least the goals the staff are working towards. Everyone is welcome to their opinions, but just be open to what is going on. It's November 13th...with a ridiculously banged up and new team.
BigJack85
Sfa17. I hope your right.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Mitch impressed before, but not tonight. Karl looked good mainly on the offensive end. Oddyst showed sparks of life. Jock looked decent on the defensive end. All our returning players looked banged up saving Bogues.
Pilotgirl
Honestly, some of y'all may need to check if you are true fans or bandwagon fans. True fans will show up and support their team---even in a losing season. They need the support...now, more than ever before. This is a young team and will be next year, too. Is it how we wanted to start? Nope. But they play and don't quit and I will not quit on them either. I will be at several away games & home games no matter the win-loss record, cheering on the Jacks! #AxeEm
BigJack85
Good fans can ***** moan and be unhappy. It's ok.
djsfw57
nacluth said:

This reminds me of a certain Baylor game.
Man I thought exactly the same thing. That year turned out just fine.
TallTexan
It's a little too early in the season for this, but the biggest recruiting job Keller can pull off between now and May is keeping TJ in purple.

It'll be like the ultimate grad transfer for next year's team, just without the transfer.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

It's a little too early in the season for this, but the biggest recruiting job Keller can pull off between now and May is keeping TJ in purple.

It'll be like the ultimate grad transfer for next year's team, just without the transfer.
I think that may be an easier than said task, too....
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

I think that may be an easier than said task, too....

Any body know his major?
RedRiverLa
Pilotgirl said:

Honestly, some of y'all may need to check if you are true fans or bandwagon fans. True fans will show up and support their team---even in a losing season. They need the support...now, more than ever before. This is a young team and will be next year, too. Is it how we wanted to start? Nope. But they play and don't quit and I will not quit on them either. I will be at several away games & home games no matter the win-loss record, cheering on the Jacks! #AxeEm

Chill. Most Everyone has been on this board for a while and are diehard fans and support the team home, away and on TV. Many of us have met each other at the games thanks to this board. People who give up on the team or don't support don't even sniff this board. This is a place to talk amongst family with frustrations - real, humorous, and/or emotionally fueled because they live and die with the team. The frustrations are always rampant at the beginning of the season, even the last 5 magical seasons.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Ballwatch
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Fitzgerald did not play to the hype. What am I missing with him?
He's had a rough night offensively, had a few unlucky bounces and tough assignments on both ends of the court. He'll be ok.
I really want you to be right. I have yet to see it.

"SFAJack_76 6:57p, 3/26/18

13.4 minutes per game with four starts for a 15-17 (4-14 in conference) team. 54% free throw shooter. 3.7 points and 2.4 rebounds per game. His best year was five years ago as a freshman.

I want him to do really well, but what am I missing that is exciting folks?"

Is it just me or does Fitz favor that braced knee a bit? Seems like he's not playing at full speed. I get that he's had it surgically repaired a couple of times, just seems like he plays a bit reserved
Ljacks&Longnecks
I would guess that the original plans for Fitz was to be TJs relief and get some minutes in that regard while the freshman grew up. Obviously that went out the window.
I thought Fitz started off tonight okay but then sort of disappeared, maybe outmanned, maybe frustrated don't know. I do know we need him to stay healthy and contribute especially if Sammie is down now.
BigJack85
You nailed it Red River. Anyone that's been on this board as long as I have, let me tell you is absolutely a fan. A fan that cares. I show up from Houston for two or three games in Nacogdoches + 3 or so in Houston. Usually HBU and Sam. I'd like to see a little more loud talk frankly!!!!

Love having PilotGirl on here. The more the merrier!
Axe 'Em Jacks!!!!!!!!!
Pilotgirl
RedRiverLa said:

Pilotgirl said:

Chill. Most Everyone has been on this board for a while and are diehard fans and support the team home, away and on TV. Many of us have met each other at the games thanks to this board. People who give up on the team or don't support don't even sniff this board. This is a place to talk amongst family with frustrations - real, humorous, and/or emotionally fueled because they live and die with the team. The frustrations are always rampant at the beginning of the season, even the last 5 magical seasons.
Again, I can...and do... have an opinion. I know many of y'all are upset that I have invaded the sawmill cave. I stand by my remarks. I know this is a place to vent & I get that. But this team has always lived off of fan support...even won a few games from that support. All I am saying is that goes a long way ....no matter the season.

I am out. Y'all enjoy the season.
sfajack05
Definitely not the showing I was hoping for. Good thing it's a long season. Just need to get it together by conference.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Had a scheduling conflict and missed the live feed, but just watched a replay. All I have to say is... We got beat on the road by an Atlantic Coast Conference team that probably will finish in the top half of a very strong conference and win a game or two in the Big Dance. Disappointed? Yes. Discouraged? No.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I really hope that Pilotgirl is not gone forever. I really liked and appreciated her input on a number of topics. I've been on this site for a long, long time, and I know that every one of us folks on here love SFA and want all of our athletic teams to succeed. Problem is, some of us (me included), just like the general public does on many issues, get a bit frustrated at times when success eludes us, and we allow our fingers to type faster than our brains can think.

So if you read this, hang with us, Pilotgirl. You are appreciated.
nacluth
Just took a real long shower to contemplate what happened. Here's my personal thoughts. (Isaac, please save us with some official breakdowns soon!)

We looked like a very young team that was struggling to hold it together against a team that has it together. I didn't think Miami was all that great, but good enough to expose all of our weaknesses. It kind of looked like two years ago. Hopefully that will change before we get that same 2016-2017 rollercoaster. I think it will.

Aaron's return will fundamentally change this team, but maybe not in his first couple starts. However, Aaron is going to pull 32-35 minutes per game until (or if) Comeaux returns. This will allow the 1 position to be locked down with Oddyst being the primary relief. O is looking stronger each game, and I believe by conference, he will be a solid backup pg for 8-10 minutes a game. With Aaron in, Bogues can be our true #2. That is the position he is born to play. Harris at the 3 with Hughes and Nicholas their main subs. Bain, Fitz, Sammy, and Nicholas can all tag team the 4/5 roles. We have a very manageable team with just the addition of Aaron - without him the system is broken.

We got a lot of good looks tonight. 39.3% FG percentage isn't terrible, but we could (maybe should) have been over 50% with the quality looks we had. I'm not saying our offense was smooth, but it looked like we were finding lanes and creating opportunities, we just didn't take advantage of them to their fullest. 3 or 4 fast breaks all in the second half wasn't enough, but we're going to start knocking down shots. We're not going to be the team from two years ago that couldn't score or find a lane. This team is going to get buckets.

Defense looked good individually weighted. I saw growth from Bain (stop fouling!), Oddyst, Jock. No experienced defenders played. Team defense wasn't there. We had holes every possession. I know that defense is a matter of pride. The coaches are going to make them get it. It looked very rough, but I have faith that the coaches that got us to lead the NCAA last year in steals can get us back into form.

When I first looked at the schedule, I was looking at a 4-6 loss team. We may be a 7-10 loss team, but we're still going to be good. It's coming...
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
jboy93
Worked tonight and kept up with things the best I could. Just a tough night...not much else to say! So looking forward to the growth of this team. Be strong and keep the faith! Ax em JACKS!!!
No-look
Well said nacluth....
fortWorthJack
I wasn't able to watch the game but I am not surprised by the scoreline. The non division 1 nail biters signalled that. I know last year was the same stuff but we weren't out this many guys and we had TJ (rim protector).

This is very much a rebuilding year now that we have again repeated the trend of mass injuries to start the season. This year is different from last year because TJ and his leadership, experience, and defensive/ offensive prowess are gone. Need to find ways to minimize injuriy during off-season and practice. Number 1 goal should be to stay healthy even if that means some light work. On to the next one.
SFAJack_76
Spot on nacluth.
BigJack85
I guess the delineation that I was not making is the difference from being "Southland" good or being "NCAA" good. We don't Look NCAA good
No-look
Without John and Aaron EVERYTHING changes. Things will be back into shape when they get back. Aaron's return will change a lot of things. It's all good.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I guess the delineation that I was not making is the difference from being "Southland" good or being "NCAA" good. We don't Look NCAA good

That's a good way to put it. Right now, we're not 12 seed beats a 5 seed good.

But we've got a long way to go. This team's highest ceiling is with TJ and everyone else healthy. We're not likely to get that level this year, but we've still got a chance to win the conference, and if we have a healthy PG in March, we could still win a game in the tourney. Heck, we got an unexpected miracle in St Nicholas.

I've got confidence in Keller to get these guys tuned up, just going to take longer than we'd hope.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

. Heck, we got an unexpected miracle in St Nicholas.

Now, if we can just keep Ol' Saint Nick from trying to make the North Pole... er, I mean... the SportsCenter Top 10...
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

. Heck, we got an unexpected miracle in St Nicholas.

Now, if we can just keep Ol' Saint Nick from trying to make the North Pole... er, I mean... the SportsCenter Top 10...

The way I see it is that had the potential to be a highlight reel in a night that needed a few more of them.

He was channeling his inner Lebron.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.