SFA / Miami

23,830 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (2-0) vs. The U (1-0)

WHEN: NOV. 13 (TUE) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: Watsco Center (Coral Gables, FL)
WATCH: ESPNU

SFA takes on Miami Tuesday night in the first D1 competition of the season for the Jacks. The ACC foe Hurricanes are a tough methodical team who are comfortable winning - especially at home. Miami has made the last 3 NCAA tournaments in a row. The last found them as the first round loser to the amazing Final Four run of Loyola - Chicago. This season they are off to a strong start by overwhelming Lehigh by 20 points.

Miami is led by their tiny (5' 7") point guard Chris Lykes who makes up for his stature in assists and shooting ability. His first game netted 22 points to lead the other Miami starters who all scored in double digits. A guard heavy (but don't think small) team, they can be very methodical on offense with a potent perimeter game. The are used to breaking defenses inside and out. Typically this is a good style for SFA to hurry up with their quick man-to-man pursuit, but we will be tested with their discipline. Collectively though Miami's stats do not impress, and we should be able to slow their offense if SFA's defense can play at high level.

Offensively, SFA should have more wide open looks then against the two previous opponents who were just willing to only play defense inside the arc. However, we will need to be crisp with our passes as the Hurricanes are known for jumping passing lanes and coming up with steals. Miami can be turned over which should lead to some fast offense for us. Production from our guards as well as strong interior play from our newcomers needs to reduce the burden from Kevon and Shannon.

2 freshmen
4 sophmores
4 juniors
3 seniors
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Nice job! Is Miami big man still out for being investigated by NCAA?
nacluth
Maybe. I haven't heard anything official yet.
Pilotgirl
No-look said:

Nice job! Is Miami big man still out for being investigated by NCAA?
Yes...there is a player still ineligible by the NCAA. I think from TX? I heard the commentators talking about him during the Miami vs Lehigh game.

I will note that that game could have been much closer as Lehigh did not convert and had plenty of opportunities to do so, especially in the first half.
Pilotgirl
No respect for SFA on Miami message boards. So, I hope they continue to sleep on us, and in the meantime, we get our game together and come away with an upset. That will make for a great Thanksgiving!
SFASawmillGuy
That's right. They'll sleep on us. We'll finally play a complete game and put our first two stinkers behind us. And maybe, just maybe, score the upset.
SFAXE93
West Virginia comes to mind.
BigJack85
I hope your right. We've got to develop some freshman and quick.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
Miami got 16 votes in the latest AP poll, Buffalo is now ranked #25 and Alabama (11) is receiving votes as well.
nacluth
Buffalo was ranked just outside and knocking off #13 West Virginia didn't hurt. I know people want stronger nonconference games, but I love our schedule this year. We have tough winnable games (at least we did with our full complement of players that we had when we scheduled them). A good run through this schedule would have left us poised for great seeding. I still have high hopes even if our injuries have made me reassess our overall design expectations.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Any word on Aaron for this week ?
nacluth
The word is don't expect him.
BigJack85
The line I saw was Miami by 20. O/U 146. Vegas has looked at the SAGU score LOL.
TallTexan
I'm not worried, it ain't even Hurricane season.
Ballwatch
Buffalo plays Southern IL tonight
SFA Jack Fanatic
Miami was picked 10th in a very strong ACC in its preseason poll.
CertifiedAxeman98
If SFA can improve their defense including defending on the perimeter, grab rebounds like they have been while pounding the boards. They have a chance to keep it close. Close is what they need (ie LSU last year)
nacluth
Game day!!! Time to start chopping wood!

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Game day!!! Time to start chopping wood!

Hope Miami is less resilient than that block of wood.
MasterAxe
Pilotgirl said:

No respect for SFA on Miami message boards. So, I hope they continue to sleep on us, and in the meantime, we get our game together and come away with an upset. That will make for a great Thanksgiving!
We haven't given them anything to respect, honestly.

The team from last year means nothing to Miami, so the tape they have, from this year, should not strike a lot of fear into them or their fans.

I hope I am wrong, but if we don't play 200% better than we have the first two games, it's gonna be bad.
nacluth
Coach Cox's presser yesterday was informative about how they see the team. Obviously they are trying to get over all the injuries, but he still sees a lot of potential. He admits they are not where they wanted to be going into Miami down three of their top players, but says it all comes down to execution. Everyone has been executing plays correctly - just not at the same time. He said in the first two games, three players would be right and two wrong, but it wasn't always the same guys screwing up. They have the ability to all be on the same page. In Miami, it's going to come down to executing all at the same time. He recognizes this will be a tough game, but also that we have a chance to show something good as well.

Also, conference play is still the key - even if we want to win every game. They will be ready by the SLU game.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Ballwatch
From KTRE

Three of the core pieces head coach Kyle Keller hoped to have back have been dealing with injuries. Aaron Augustine has an injured arm but should be making a return by the end of November. John Comeaux is out f action but has started practicing and Keller is optimistic that a return will happen. The hearty of the team, TJ Holyfield is out for the season. With those productive players all in dress clothes on the bench, players that were previously coming in off the bench are now being relied upon.
The Jacks won their first two games like everyone thought they would but not by the score margin everyone thought they would. In their second games of the year, a controversial foul call sent the Jacks to the line with 2 seconds left and the team pulled out a 68-67 win over Southwestern Assemblies of God University out of the NAIA.
"We have to get better every day," assistant head coach Jeremy Cox said. "I don't think it is back to the drawing board or time to his the reset button. This is a very young team. It has a lot of new parts. Shannon Bogues is still playing the point with Augustine out. Holyfiled is gone for the year from our interior game. We are hurting on defense with Comeaux out. He is one of the best and you can see we miss him. We have a lot of young talented athletes and they have to learn a new system."

The team will have their first true NCAA test on Tuesday night when the take on the University of Miami.
"I think now looking at it we would have wanted this game in December like we did with LSU last year," Cox said. "But it is not about that final score for us. It is about getting better each day. Right now we are clicking on three of five cylinders. Last year we were clicking on 12-13 with the way our bench played. "right now we got guys in the right possesion not playing hard enough. We got guys playing hard enough but not in the right position. That is really hard to do and think. When you think it makes your feet slow."
Both SFA and Miami were in the NCAA Tournament last year and both teams played in Dallas for round 1.
BigJack85
The part that irks me is kids in the wrong and not playing hard. That's going to catch up to us tonight. Getting Aaron back in a couple weeks will be a big help. Huge. But it won't make up for the lack of depth we are dealing with.
Pilotgirl
MasterAxe said:

Pilotgirl said:

We haven't given them anything to respect, honestly.

The team from last year means nothing to Miami, so the tape they have, from this year, should not strike a lot of fear into them or their fans.

I hope I am wrong, but if we don't play 200% better than we have the first two games, it's gonna be bad.

I meant the program as a whole. There was a response saying how we had been to the Dance several times.
KirkHeath12
Spread has SFA plus 14.5 and o/u 143. Money line plus 900 for SFA
Class of 2012
Axe Em
cboothe09
KirkHeath12 said:

Spread has SFA plus 14.5 and o/u 143. Money line plus 900 for SFA
Spread has come down. I want to say I saw it around 20 over the weekend...
Ballwatch
Any delicious game time food in order for you guys? Still trying to decide tonight's jacked up menu
nacluth
I've decided that my 2 point win in the pick 'em was misguided. I'm changing my pick to reflect that. We're going to win by double digits.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
30 minutes out. Time for a driveway pick up game. Anyone want in?
TallTexan
Dang, TJ Oliver is out too? The hits just keep on coming.
BigJack85
Plenty of talent in this team. A little to much 1v1.
TallTexan
Wow that move by Oddyst on the fast break.

Should have been a goal tend.
PurpleOut
Staff
Definitely not going to get any calls tonight.
RedRiverLa
So a violation putting the ball in play with no one around? Isn't that equal to a uniform violation that our football team seems to get flagged for? This is going to be a long night.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
Pretty awesome to see the 5 year win percentages for Texas on the screen.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.