GAME THREAD: McNeese at SFA

24,324 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PurpleOut
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well 35-0 is where my eternal optimism dies on this game. I picked SFA as 7th in the poll, and it still seems about right. I was pleased with the ACU game, but whatever offensive discipline we showed that night is not here tonight.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Yep. A couple of good games does not a season make. Well. That's it for me. I can pull my tailgating stuff out of storage in Nacogdoches. Burn it. Figure out if I can use any of it with the volleyball team.

What a joke.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ljacks&Longnecks
Absolutely No positives that one can take from tonight's game unless you consider it's only 35-0 a positive.
BigJack85
It's hard to see how we won the other two games
SFAXE93
35-0 FINAL

So, whose headed to Houston? lol
BigJack85
I live in Houston... been to 4 of the Blowout Of The Piney Woods. Not ready to see 75-0.
SFASawmillGuy
As someone who also lives in Houston, I may just leave town for the day.....
BigJack85
Agreed 03. It's remarkable that in the past 6 years we've literally done nothing. NOTHING. The 8-5 season was an anomaly. We could even say that Conque was the benificiary of JC Harpers talent. I'm beyond disappointed in the lack of progress. It's surprising that we can't even be competitive with the mid tier conference teams. Forget about Sammie, UCA and McNeese. Crazy.
SFAXE93
Almost 13,000 in attendance.

One of our worse seasons but one of our best in attendance, go figure.

L @SMU 14-58 (20,500)
L SSU 14-51 (12,324)
W UIW 37-31(11,401)
W @ACU 20-10 (11,645)
L MSU 0-35 (13,000)
L SHSU (26,000+)
TheRevSFA
I'll be at BOTPW solely because I have tickets.

But I'm betting we lose by 70
BigJack85
I honestly have no idea what Conque is doing. I don't mean that negatively. It's obviously negative but my point is this team makes no sense whatsoever. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. We are so incredibly inconsistent. Now the problem is we are worse and inconsistent in our badness.... LOL. I'm actually drinking to the point of laughing.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I honestly have no idea what Conque is doing. I don't mean that negatively. It's obviously negative but my point is this team makes no sense whatsoever. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. We are so incredibly inconsistent. Now the problem is we are worse and inconsistent in our badness.... LOL. I'm actually drinking to the point of laughing.
A conversation that still haunts me. A week or two after we hire Conque, I was at first Monday with my SFA shirt on, and two older lady's in UCA shirts asked if I went there. I said "yes, and sorry we stole your coach". One of them immediately replied "You can't steal him if we didn't want to keep him".

At first I thought that reply was just prompted by losing their coach, but in the years since I've realized that UCA fans new something we didn't.

I'm still fully on the Jeff Traylor bandwagon when we need to hire a new coach in December.
cboothe09
Also live in Houston and was planning going with some coworkers to tailgate at least. Yeah, that isn't happening anymore. One of the guys knows someone at the Golf Club of Houston, so we'll be out there...I will stay far away from NRG next weekend. Not sure I will even try to catch a game in Nac until he is gone...
SFAXE93
I noticed Trey Ramos is off the roster.
djsfw57
SFA, Class of 1979
BigJack85
I don't know where we go from here. From the looks of it the next three games are pretty much toast. We've really only looked complete in one game.
djsfw57
SFAXE93 said:

What if Blumrick has an all American season and the Jacks go undefeated the rest of the way, winning the SLC and National Championship?

Then what for Sawyer?

This is pretty hilarious to me. At this point I don't think SFA could beat Nacogdoches Junior High. This is beyond embarrassing. Conque HAS to go if we ever want to have a mediocre team again. Sad that we are nowhere near mediocre...
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
That was ugly. Big crowd. Coming off a very good win. Then completely dominated. We need about 30 more with the passion and drive of Alize Ward. He played lights out.

Will go to NRG. Don't know why other than already have the tickets. Probably will be able to beat the crowd by leaving yet another game shortly after halftime.

Cannot wait for basketball season!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Cannot wait for basketball season!
Only 42 days until the Longwood game!
BigJack85
Careful what you wish for. Right now the only SFA teams worth watching are women's soccer and volleyball.
INiedrauer
Staff
This is a cheery place this morning
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

BigJack85
I bet it is. I'm a firm, I mean very firm believer in Robert Hill. He has done yeomans (sp?) work building this athletic department. Everyone makes mistakes.... I think this is one of those. When Conque was hired I was strongly in favor Looking deeper he had some significant advantages in Arkansas. 1. He had the only D1aa program in the state. This made it easier for him to recruit. 2. Close to a medium sized metro area that has a big airport. 3. UCA emphasized football over basketball. SFA tries to do both.

It's almost time to look at what a contract buyout would cost. I've seen the document but I'm no lawyer. My cursory look at the document leads to believe it would cost SFA about $100,000 to cut him loose at the end of the season.
RedRiverLa
Well, the band is still awesome and never disappoints. And ROTC is saving money on powder rounds and t-shirts. I feel bad for Nikki Wallace, our first down sponsor, hardly hear her name. As a side note, I've had more onetimers confused and thinking we are playing the Pilgrims.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TheJacksster
This is no disrespect to LMB or any LMB alumni but the band has its moments, the music they play just doesn't help our team get up and going (which I feel like would really help our team) it wouldn't hurt to change the performance up every other week or let go of some of that tradition and play some hip hop/r&b music that our students and fans can vibe to, that's what's wrong with Nac all I see is just a lot of tradition, traditions good don't get me wrong but sometimes it gets old. That's like that video tribute to SFA before the games needs to go, how does that 3 minute video help anyone get ready or in the mood for a game? This is just something to think about because I feel SFA has the potential to fill that stadium up every weekend it starts with having a good fan experience which I feel we don't have
INiedrauer
Staff
TheJacksster said:

This is no disrespect to LMB or any LMB alumni but the band has its moments, the music they play just doesn't help our team get up and going (which I feel like would really help our team) it wouldn't hurt to change the performance up every other week or let go of some of that tradition and play some hip hop/r&b music that our students and fans can vibe to, that's what's wrong with Nac all I see is just a lot of tradition, traditions good don't get me wrong but sometimes it gets old. That's like that video tribute to SFA before the games needs to go, how does that 3 minute video help anyone get ready or in the mood for a game? This is just something to think about because I feel SFA has the potential to fill that stadium up every weekend it starts with having a good fan experience which I feel we don't have
A good fan experience starts with winning. It's a lot easier to get up and make noise when the score is flipped.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TheJacksster
Rightfully so, but just thinking back to ACU last week, on every 3rd down their stadium and fans were shouting making noise waiving their towel or something, maybe SFA needs to try and promote anew culture, let's look at Sputher University's band, they can have the worst football team in the SWAC but their band will always have those fans packing seats in their stadium
BigJack85
I'm with Isaac on this one. Just win and the atmosphere will improve dramatically.
INiedrauer
Staff
TheJacksster said:

Rightfully so, but just thinking back to ACU last week, on every 3rd down their stadium and fans were shouting making noise waiving their towel or something, maybe SFA needs to try and promote anew culture, let's look at Sputher University's band, they can have the worst football team in the SWAC but their band will always have those fans packing seats in their stadium

To be clear, I don't totally disagree with you. But Abilene is in a city of over 100k and SFA had more fans at Homer Bryce last night than ACU did a week ago in their brand new stadium. Attendance has been solid this year. Atmosphere hasn't been great but I just don't blame anyone but the team for that.

One thing that really irritated me was the whole stadium deciding to give a standing ovation on the goal line play with 2 seconds left in the first half. The team was desperately signalling for them to shut up and the crowd just kept cheering. Idiotic.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TheJacksster
As for Conque it's been his time to go ever since he started playing his son over real talent, Jeff Traylor has everything it takes to bring SFA football to an SLC favorite year after year, everything Traylor touches towards football is gold, I'm on his bandwagon, a big question I do have is why is it that I don't see SFA recruiting a lot out of East Texas, this place is a melting pot for football players
RedRiverLa
Well, the band is still awesome and never disappoints. And ROTC is saving money on powder rounds and t-shirts. I feel bad for Nikki Wallace, our first down sponsor, hardly hear her name. As a side note, I've had more onetimers confused and thinking we are playing the Pilgrims.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
I hear what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree. The band is the only one still in it until the end of the game. If the team has to look to the band for inspiration and not 13,000 fans, then maybe their focus is not in the right place. Apparently all that hip hop stuff on the pa does nothing for the team, don't make one of the best bands in the country sink to that level of music. Let me have some enjoyment sitting in Homer Bryce besides watching Alize Ward play.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
Actually, Grambling has had by far the best band in SWAC for years, but they also have a football championship team, the latter is what packs the stadium, the former is what packs the parades.
Lumberjack Battalion
BigJack85
We're averaging about 12000 thru 3 games. It will go down hill after this. Imagine the possibilities if we had a winning team.....

Just a wilting rose as someone said in another post.
drhuggybear
Can the band fire up the stands? Sure.
Can the band fire up the team? Sure.
Can the band impact what is happening on the field by being distracting? Sure

But if the band is NEEDED to cause any of those things there are serious problems elsewhere. The players shouldn't need the band in order to be fired up - they should already be in that mindset because of pride and a desire to win. The band can help sustain it or whatnot but it doesn't start with the band. It starts with the guys on the field.

Txjack
TheJacksster said:

I hear what your saying Jacksster...I can appreciate our band too and still think we have one of the best fight songs out there, but I recall a time when I was in school and we were playing Prairie View; they came out and put on a show!...people doing back flips, dancing--crazy. Then when it was time for us, this monotone voice comes over the speaker, "and now, the boldest sound from the oldest town"...and we start playing the Wabash Cannonball. My brother and I still laugh about that nearly 30 years later.
We are still playing that song....
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.