FALL CAMP 2017

5,742 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFAXE93
INiedrauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
...Is underway. We'll be out there this weekend to spot some standouts. Big stories will include the QB competition (effectively for second-string when Foster Sawyer returns), running back roles, receiver depth, offensive line, and linebackers.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFAXE93
Live look in.

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
BigJack85
Awesome. Sounds like an uphill battle this year.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFASawmillGuy
Lots of positives today. The quarterbacks looked like they really wanted it with the opportunity given to them.
SFASawmillGuy
It appears Jake Blumrick is taking control of the QB battle.
BigJack85
Blumrick is a sophomore after a red shirt year and a freshmen campaign. He should be mature both mentally and physically. I suspect he is going to be under center come September. Let's hope his two years as an understudy accelerate his growth on the field.
SFASawmillGuy
I was actually very big on Blumrick after the 2015 spring game. He reminds me kind of an FCS Colt McCoy in the sense that he has he athleticism to make plays or extend plays with his feet but also the accuracy throwing to pick apart a defense.
Obviously all I'm basing this on is from seeing him practice the past couple of seasons since he's been the 4th string QB the past 2 years, but I've really been excited to see what he can do when he takes the field.
SFAXE93
Lots of rain coming (been raining in Austin area since last night, now flooding) so may take a hit at practice.

Real excited about hearing good things about Day and Arclies, one getting a fresh new start to show what he can do and another just taking it all in, looking for his opportunity to dominate some DBs with his size and talent.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
INiedrauer
Staff
I don't think it's quite fair to say Jake has taken control. Ryan and he have both been pretty good but it doesn't sound like the coaches see any clear separation after four practices.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFAXE93
Is Foster Sawyer back to practice? I see a #12 at QB.

http://sfajacks.com/galleries/?gallery=521

BigJack85
That would be very positive. Going into SMU with 3 QB's and some options. Not as much pressure on Blumrick and Cottingam
PurpleOut
Staff
Looks like it, with a big knee brace on. Seems like good news, even if he can't play in the opener.
SFASawmillGuy
Hopefully this means he'll be good for SUU.
SMU is too risky to play him in unless we really think we have a chance to upset them. Even then, an FBS win would be nice but I'd rather have all of our starters healthy for conference play.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Hopefully this means he'll be good for SUU.
SMU is too risky to play him in unless we really think we have a chance to upset them. Even then, an FBS win would be nice but I'd rather have all of our starters healthy for conference play.
True. Even if he only plays two or three series against SUU, that would be good progress.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Based on Coach Crowton's comments on sfajacks.com, Foster Sawyer is coming along very well. In fact, he said that he's almost ready and taking half of the snaps with the first team. Personally, I hope they take it easy with him against SMU and give at least half of the game to Blumrick. Take no chances of him re-injuring the knee, plus it would give Blumrick some valuable in-game experience that might be needed at some point this year.
SFASawmillGuy
Absolutely. With Foster already taking first team snaps it's looking like he may be good to go ahead and start he season for SFA, but I would love to see Jake taking the snaps against SMU. We need a solid backup if Foster goes down at some point this year.
SFAXE93
After second scrimmage Coach Conque doesn't seem pleased with the QB play, looked pissed and frustrated during the post game interview with how things are going.

Inconsistent was the word he used.

Blumrick did though get the most praise at QB with Shaw and Day getting some love at RB by Coach Conque.

Said the OL has improved to some degree and was pleased with the running game.

But again the turnovers and missed tackles.

Held 12 or so players out of the game.

Coach says we have some pretty good football players, pretty physical and violent out there.

The body language and tone spoke volumes.
PurpleOut
Staff
Wow, Kiki Hill's career is over. Was honorable mention All-SLC last year.

nacluth
Wow. What a blow for him. Best of luck for his life.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
That can be some very serious stuff. Forget football, what Kiki needs is plenty of support and our prayers.
BigJack85
Serious stuff. Sounds like a real trooper. Good luck to Kiki. SFA is a great place to get an education! I'm sure other opportunities will open up for a hard worker like Kiki.

SFAXE93
gone

S:#18 Andre Wiley 5-10; 185 (Fr.) Navy Transfer *** #109 S

LB:#48 Fre'Zarian Harrison 5-11; 224 (R/Fr.) ** #129 ILB

OL:#60 Shane Roberson 6-2; 310 (Sr.)

SFAXE93
LB:#98 Jack Martin 6-4; 245 (So.)

G:9;TKL:9;TFL:0.5;SCK:0.5;FF:0;FR:0;PBU:0;INT:0;QBH:0

Jack Martin has moved from DE to LB

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.