2019 Fall Football Camp

18,680 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
Alize Ward is out for the season with a knee injury.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

Alize Ward is out for the season with a knee injury.
This is seriously bad news. Now, both our offensive and defensive leaders are out.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Devastating news on Ward. We sure don't catch any breaks when it comes to injuries.
nacluth
Terrible. Aliz was the only not bad thing last year. I could watch him run all day.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
Yikes
SFAJack_76
Cat Herder
Great that this was made possible in part by donations to the Purple Lights Fund. Reminds me of the function of booster clubs to the high schools relative to providing additional support and equipment to enhance the school's programs both on and off the field.
SFAJack_76
Cat Herder said:

Great that this was made possible in part by donations to the Purple Lights Fund. Reminds me of the function of booster clubs to the high schools relative to providing additional support and equipment to enhance the school's programs both on and off the field.
Agree completely. I also appreciate that the Athletic Department is talking about where the money goes.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I've been reading about these new safer helmets for a while. Great that our Jacks are getting them this quickly.
SFAJack_76
Big deal when the players are saying this.
SFAXE93

DE: Marje Smith 6-6; 225 Marshall, Texas (Marshall/Baylor) *** (R/Fr.)

- Was 205 pounds out of high school and redshirted to get bigger, but still played in 3 games his freshman year at Baylor getting a tackle and one for a loss.

- He maintained his redshirt and will have 4 years to play at SFA.

- Potential is very high for this one, Baylor was big on him during camp in early August with his added weight.

- Was recruited by SFA in 2018.

SFAXE93
Long reaching ends

DE: Josh Collins 6-6; 230 (Jr.)
DE: #91 Holland Malone 6-5; 220 (So.)
DE: Marje Smith 6-6; 225 (R/Fr.)
DE: Hayden Brockenbush 6-4; 220 (Fr.)
DE: Chance Hill 6-4; 215 (Fr.)
DE: Romello Parish 6-4; 243 (Fr.)

SFAXE93
Will have to be patient.

OFFENSE
QB: SR:0; JR:2; SO:0; FR:5
RB: SR:2; JR:2; SO:0; FR:5
WR: SR:4; JR:1; SO:5; FR:3
TE: SR:1; JR:1; SO:0; FR:3
OL: SR:3; JR:3; SO:3; FR:11
TOTAL: SR:10; JR:9; SO:8; FR:27

DEFENSE
DE: SR:1; JR:1; SO:1; FR:9
DT: SR:2; JR:2; SO:0; FR:3
LB: SR:4; JR:2; SO:1; FR:4
S: SR:1; JR:3; SO:1; FR:4
CB: SR:2; JR:2; SO:0; FR:5
TOTAL: SR:10; JR:10; SO:3; FR:25

ST
K: SR:1; JR:0; SO:1; FR:2
P: SR:0; JR:0; SO:0; FR:1
LS: SR:0; JR:0; SO:0; FR:3
TOTAL: SR:1; JR:0; SO:1; FR:6

SFAJack_76
Sounds like Smith is a big pick up. Curious why he left Baylor. Sounds like it wasn't a playing time concern.
SFAXE93
From Bears Extra

Redshirt freshman Marje Smith has shown some explosiveness at defensive end.

"Marje's a really long kid and has a good understanding of the defense," McGuire said. "He's another motor guy.
SFAJack_76
Our athletic department is spending some money. This is nice.
Pilotgirl
I will be there too I'm in the nose bleeds but hey, it's a free ticket! Gonna keep my eye out for the team
SFAJack_76

SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
I saw some of the Sports Med Team in my section...they weee trying to sit closee bc their seats were way in the back. I told them "I got you...I'm alumni " lol They said that everyone was loving the new coach & it was his idea to bring everyone to the game
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

I saw some of the Sports Med Team in my section...they weee trying to sit closee bc their seats were way in the back. I told them "I got you...I'm alumni " lol They said that everyone was loving the new coach & it was his idea to bring everyone to the game

Since you were in the nose bleeds, it must have been comforting to be near those guys.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
New names on roster

LB: Jermaine Brown 6-1; 195 Manvel, Texas ***
Offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Bowling Green, Texas State, Louisiana, Tulsa, Utah, Northwestern State, Texas A&M Commerce

WR: Justin Hammond 6-1; 180 Odessa, Texas **
PWO from Baylor

WR: A.J. Bennett 6-2; 185 Klein, Texas (Collins)
Was at Kansas

TE: Carson Spence 6-6; 240 One and done JUCO transfer
drhuggybear
This has been a great thread to follow. I am looking forward to this season.

We will be bringing the RV up for games but at least for the first week we are staying at the KOA in Lufkin. I want to check out the RV spots on campus before I commit to it for a whole weekend
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
SFAJack_76
We will probably attend.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
Gone

CB:#23 Jadarius Byrd 5-10; 170 (Sr.)

SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Random comments from Meet the Jacks.

First, to get the bad out of the way, the knee injury that Alize Ward suffered was really, really bad, bordering on gruesome. It was much more than a "simple" MCL or ACL as described by Carthel while visiting with him after the event. Not only is Ward out for the season, but this could be career threatening. Recovery is 15-18 months. Hate it for the young man that probably was going to get drafted. Of course, tough for the team also. Ward was described as not being just the leader of the defense, but the leader of the team. It was a non contact injury.

Onward. It was a very well attended event. The Rotary Club and the Fredonia Hotel did an excellent job. This is our first, so I don't have previous experience to compare it to. Ivey and Carthel are consistent in message and passion. They are both very comfortable in front of a crowd, and working a crowd. The seniors were introduced and brought on stage. Ward, of course, was not there. Josh Weeks, the grad transfer TE from UTEP was not there. Don't know why.

We sat with three players. Two true freshmen and one sophomore transfer. They are a long snapper, OL, and a kicker. Very consistent comments from all three. They love Carthel and the staff. They speak highly of Ivey, so that means he is around. Spoke well of Sports Performance including S&C and nutrition. Part of east college cafeteria was set aside just for the athletes. They recalled fried food being available once. No pizza, etc. The trip to the Texans game was a very much appreciated experience. All three young men were engaging, answering and asking questions.

It was good having Larry Centers there. He is not a polished public speaker, but he did fine.

I know there was at least one other participant in this forum in attendance. Comments about what I have missed are appreciated.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.