Genie Lynn Kilpatrick

523 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In case you didn't see this in the "In Memoriam" section of the latest Sawdust. Definitely worth recognizing here...

Genie Lynn Kilpatrick, class of 1984, passed away November 23, 2022.

Kilpatrick played on the Ladyjack tennis team for four years and was recognized for her national collegiate tennis ranking. She continued her love of tennis after leaving SFA, teaching and coaching motivated students to achieve more in the classroom, on the court, and in life.

Shortly after Kilpatrick retired from teaching and coaching, she was diagnosed with a rare genetic pulmonary disease, pulmonary capillary hemangiomatosis. She was given the gift of life through organ donation and received a double lung transplant in 2017. She lived five more incredibly blissful years to their fullest, playing tennis, pickleball, traveling, and promoting organ donation through Donate Life. With two new lungs, she competed and won an Olympic gold medal at the U.S. Olympic Transplant Games in 2019 in tennis and table tennis. Then she went on to win a gold medal at the World Games in 2019. Kilpatrick inspired anyone she met with her favorite quote: "postpone nothing."

This may or may not be a popular opinion, but I'd love to see Genie Lynn awarded posthumously with a 2024 Alumni Award (too late for 2023). She deserved it as much or more than someone who happened to earn a Doctorate, who worked their way up to a top executive position in a corporation, or who happened to give a huge donation to SFA.

(And no, I did not know her...)
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

In case you didn't see this in the "In Memoriam" section of the latest Sawdust. Definitely worth recognizing here...

Kilpatrick played on the Ladyjack tennis team for four years and was recognized for her national collegiate tennis ranking. She continued her love of tennis after leaving SFA, teaching and coaching motivated students to achieve more in the classroom, on the court, and in life.

Shortly after Kilpatrick retired from teaching and coaching, she was diagnosed with a rare genetic pulmonary disease, pulmonary capillary hemangiomatosis. She was given the gift of life through organ donation and received a double lung transplant in 2017. She lived five more incredibly blissful years to their fullest, playing tennis, pickleball, traveling, and promoting organ donation through Donate Life. With two new lungs, she competed and won an Olympic gold medal at the U.S. Olympic Transplant Games in 2019 in tennis and table tennis. Then she went on to win a gold medal at the World Games in 2019. Kilpatrick inspired anyone she met with her favorite quote: "postpone nothing."

This may or may not be a popular opinion, but I'd love to see Genie Lynn awarded posthumously with a 2024 Alumni Award (too late for 2023). She deserved it as much or more than someone who happened to earn a Doctorate, who worked their way up to a top executive position in a corporation, or who happened to give a huge donation to SFA.

I absolutely agree.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Make the nomination. Form should be on the Alumni Association web site. If not, call the office.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Thanks, 76. I didn't know that someone could do that.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Thanks, 76. I didn't know that someone could do that.
Perhaps you already found it, but here is the link to the alumni awards. For you and others. From a bit afar, I believe there has not been enough nominations in the past. And certainly, not a very diverse list of nominations.

https://www.sfaalumni.com/page/awards
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.