SFA / Seattle (2)

2,442 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by FBK_Lumberjack
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (14-11, 7-7) vs. Seattle (16-10, 9-6)

WHEN: 2/22 (THU) 9:00P.M.
WHERE: Redhawk Center (Seattle, WA)
WATCH: ESPN+

Since beating Seattle in a superb game in Nacogdoches to give the Jacks a 5-2 second place record, the Jacks have gone 2-5 losing to every team ahead of them in the WAC (and ACU) to sink to fifth place. Alternately, the Redhawks have gone on a 6-2 record beating first place team GCU once and losing to them in overtime in the rematch. They have set themselves up for a strong finish to the season as their final 5 games of the season may climax in a showdown with Tarleton for the coveted #2 seed.

SFA is going on a difficult road trip right when they find themselves struggling mentally the most. Currently they are one game back from a much needed bye in the conference tournament, but also they have just a thin two game margin from missing the tournament. This road swing is the real make or break for the team. Do the Jacks have the mental fortitude to pull themselves off of the brink and set things in order? Tonight's matchup will show us a lot.

The Jacks have only played in Seattle's tiny gym one time. It was an 8 point loss in their first WAC season. It was their last regular season loss of the year as the Jacks went on a 10 game winning streak to claim their one WAC title. While this season's Jacks don't have that possibility even with a 6 game sweep, every game is still important. The Jacks players matchup well with Seattle if, IF, we don't give up a million threes. Cam Tyson didn't play in the January game and we had Hall and Cajuste. Beaubrun and Nana each had 16 points. We've got to win big inside.

Stay up for the late game tonight.

Axe 'em!
No-look
Time to make some noise!
nacluth
Keller seemed particularly upbeat in the midweek presser. I hope that attitude carries over to the game.

nacluth
Early take, we win going away.
MasterAxe
UTA wins. Utah Valley wins.

As we're down 13-5 and in real-time 6th place im standings.

ACU won and Utah Tech is off. So, we're 1 up on them.
No-look
We're getting lot of chances. Got to finish. This game is very winnable.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Early take, we win going away.
A bold prediction for a team that struggles to keep their foot on the gas.
nacluth
Just a joke when we were 5-0. Letting them score the next 13 was a bold strategy.
nacluth
Wilson driving the lane with a minute left to score…nope turnover.
nacluth
30-24 Seattle half.
No-look
Hopefully we can shoot a better percentage second half. Cam Tyson having a game.
nacluth
Yep. Didn't miss Cam in the first game.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Just a joke when we were 5-0. Letting them score the next 13 was a bold strategy.

It's a bold strategy but one we are deeply committed to.
nacluth
So, our offense looks like trash.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

So, our offense looks like trash.

Agreed. Missing AJ. Jossell just ain't meant to run the point. At least not today.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
BigJack85
Hayman trying to close at the rim against these 6'8" guys is pointless. Why? I know we are struggling to kick it out but really.
Jacks1989
We can't hit Jack. Horrible at shooting.
BigJack85
This is trash.
BigJack85
Sad to say, but I've given up on this team. The shooting is soooooo horrific at times. It's hard to define. And we don't play smart. Nana with the 3 attempt after we look like we've turned Seattle back. Awful.
djsfw57
For some reason we have no ability to shoot. Not from ANYWHERE on the court. It's frustrating as hell. So many talented players, but no shooters.
SFA, Class of 1979
Jacks1989
As bad as the Jacks shooting is we are still in the game. No offense.
nacluth
10 points down with 5 left. Giving them a taste of our own medicine.
BigJack85
Everyone shoots 3's against us. Awful.

We've given up. I don't like what I see. The Lumberjack magic is dust. Just dust.
BigJack85
djsfw57 said:

For some reason we have no ability to shoot. Not from ANYWHERE on the court. It's frustrating as hell. So many talented players, but no shooters.

Our shooting is atrocious. I wonder about the chemistry.
Jacks1989
Turn out the lights. It's over.
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

Turn out the lights. It's over.

Keller has A LOT of work to do. Lots.

Recruit some outside shooters.
MasterAxe
We ****ing stink.

Tarleton scores 55 in the 2nd half to beat GCU.

We couldn't even get 50 in a full game.

Full scale freefall
JHard
Absolutely PATHETIC.

Keller barely plays Jossell, Jenkins doesn't even see the floor…but Nana out here fumbling the ball and missing layups and never hits the bench?

Just cancel the rest of the season, we're the only team trending down so making the conference tournament looks like a long shot.
MasterAxe
JHard said:

Absolutely PATHETIC.

Keller barely plays Jossell, Jenkins doesn't even see the floor…but Nana out here fumbling the ball and missing layups and never hits the bench?

Just cancel the rest of the season, we're the only team trending down so making the conference tournament looks like a long shot.

I'm eagerly awaiting someone to drop the "Keller just needs more time to figure out the rotation."
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

JHard said:

Absolutely PATHETIC.

I'm eagerly awaiting someone to drop the "Keller just needs more time to figure out the rotation."

Lol. I'm waiting for the 'yeah, but I wouldn't want to play us in March' line.
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

JHard said:

Absolutely PATHETIC.

This was bad. No sugarcoating it. We couldn't shoot worth a damn. Rotation is trash. Nana misses multiple close in shots. The mojo is gone. Vanished. It looks like our skill set and game plan don't match.

Pathetic
No-look
We have good players and the effort is there. But we don't have players that can take over a game. There is no fiddle in the band…to compete in the upper half WAC you have to have scorers that can defend. We don't have that as a whole.
SFASawmillGuy
No way to sugar coat it, this season has been a nightmare. We have talented players, but as someone else said, the chemistry is just not there.

We can talk all day about how bad our shooting is but fact is we turn it over more than anyone in the country, that needs to be addressed badly this offseason. Hopefully we can hold onto enough players that we won't need to start all over again this summer and these guys can have a full offseason together to grow, because as it is we're not hard to play defense against.

The adversity these guys face is 100% something we cannot hope to understand or know, and that could be a huge part of it. Again, if these guys can stay together this offseason and we don't see a ton of transferring out I think a lot of the unseen issues with this team will be resolved.
purpleballs
Apparently I didn't miss anything by going to bed at halftime.
JHard
SFASawmillGuy said:

No way to sugar coat it, this season has been a nightmare. We have talented players, but as someone else said, the chemistry is just not there.

We can talk all day about how bad our shooting is but fact is we turn it over more than anyone in the country, that needs to be addressed badly this offseason. Hopefully we can hold onto enough players that we won't need to start all over again this summer and these guys can have a full offseason together to grow, because as it is we're not hard to play defense against.

The adversity these guys face is 100% something we cannot hope to understand or know, and that could be a huge part of it. Again, if these guys can stay together this offseason and we don't see a ton of transferring out I think a lot of the unseen issues with this team will be resolved.

We can't act like the turnover issue is just a thing this season. It's a staple of Keller's system. Every year.

We try to play this fast paced game and it creates turnovers on offense. On defense we overplay so much trying to be "PressU" that we lose assignments, don't come up with lose balls, can't stay in front of our man, et….and the result is an open shooter or an open back door. Any above average team can plan and exploit this.

The only chemistry issue is because there's never a set group of 5 that play together. And when someone starts to play well, he'll be forced to the bench.

I think we all see what the actual issue is here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.